Tuesday, June 07, 2005

On the side of the rebel Jesus

Jesus was a rebel, he was considered a heretic by the religious right of his day. He hung out with the tax collectors, the prostitutes, healed gentiles, spoke with women, allowed unclean women to touch him. All the time the robed jerry falwells and pat robertson walking around pointing out how wrong he was... "Why he obviously was given power by Satan himself to cast out demons. He broke the law by healing on the Sabbath, this man is a subversive we must get rid of him" "I know lets get the government to kill him." Can't you see it? If Jesus were here today he'd be locked up perhaps at Guantanamo Bay, or somewhere in texas awaiting a lethal injection.

I've always been a bit of a rebel. As a Fundi, I was told to be submissive, that rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft. I suppressed a part of me for over 15 years, and in the process lost myself. A dear friend of mine used to always pray that I would stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. That friend was a prophet, he didn't know what he meant, I didn't know what he meant. He died in March, I never got to tell him I figured it out. He was also a musician, we disagreed on much yet I know he would be thrilled that I figured it out.

So I'm a rebel, I go against the flow. I am who God created me to be no more no less. I prayed that God would make me more like Jesus. God did, the father/mother of all made me a rebel, I was given an analytical mind, and the ability to cut through the crap. I pray that the other rebels who are lost in a religious system will find their voices and begin to speak out! That they will not care if they are called heathen or heretics, but speak out like the Rebel Jesus.


The streets are filled with laughter and light
And the music of the season
And the merchants' windows are all bright
With the faces of the children
And the families hurrying to their homes
As the sky darkens and freezes
Will be gathering around the hearths and tables
Giving thanks for all God's graces And the birth of the rebel Jesus
They call him by the "Prince of Peace" And they call him by "The savior"
And they pray to him upon the sea And in every bold endeavor
As they fill his churches with their pride and gold
And their faith in him increases
But they've turned the nature that I worshipped in
From a temple to a robber's den
In the words of the rebel Jesus
We guard our world with locks and guns
And we guard our fine possessions
And once a year when Christmas comes
We give to our relations
And perhaps we give a little to the poor
If the generosity should seize us
But if any one of us should interfere
In the business of why they are poor
They get the same as the rebel Jesus
But pardon me if I have seemed
To take the tone of judgment
For I've no wish to come between
This day and your enjoyment
In this life of hardship and of earthly toil
We have need for anything that frees us
So I bid you pleasure and I bid you cheer
From a heathen and a pagan On the side of the rebel Jesus.
© 1991 BMG MUSIC

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]